Green Day Dress
Brief Item Record
Title: Green Day Dress
Date: 1895 (circa)
Description: ensemble of green changeant taffeta with small dot print; skirt (a): olive green taffeta with ivory dots, purple cross weave (wavy); weighted hem; green velvet trim; bodice (b): olive green taffeta w/ ivory dots and purple cross-weave; green velvet trim, leg-of-mutton sleeves, velvet trim at one wrist and green velvet bow at neckBodice:olive green heavy silk taffeta, olive silk velvet, silk taffeta in gussets; metal hook and eye closures and covered buttons1890s Fitted bodice with boning, high neck with lapel; princess dart missing; armscye darts; leg of mutton sleeves; previous waist darts missing in backVelvet piping detail at elbows and inner arms; 4 nonfunctionial velvet covered buttons at waist; velvet lapel and collar detached along with one velvet cuffSkirt: silk changeant, silk velvet detail, plainweave cotton lining, silk lining, polished cotton band at hem, weighted cotton tape at hem; green cotton tape around underskirtFull skirt, no bustle3 velvet ribbons in rectangular pattern (apron-front design) in front of skirt, velvet piping along hem,
Full Item Record
Is Referenced By
Costume Item Type Metadata
Cataloguer with Date
Center Front Length
Center Back Length
2) Mannequin needs padding around hips
3) Needs full petticoat
4) Closures at center front of bodice are coming undone
5) Tear in left sleeve
6) Needs arms
7) Tissue in 2 arms = uneven
1. Alexandra -- removed the dress hooks and then reattached them so the waist of the skirt is smaller.
2. Arden -- added batting around hips of mannequin, with cover over to smooth edges.
3. Arden -- pulled very full flared petticoat with rulled at hem, drawstring waist.
4. Quinn -- placed nylon mesh underneath the tear and sewed 1/2 inch around tear with taffeta. added a strip of dark green fabric underneath (floating) the tear to disguise the white mesh.
5. Quinn -- restored several eyes that were coming undone along the center front closure.
6. Arden and Jenna -- placed 2 arms (made of knee high stockings with batting & wire) inside sleeves.
7. Jenna and Quinn -- adjusted tissue straps from outside of sleeves, not as effective as desired.
8. Jenna -- covered with an off-white cotton knit cover (not quite long enough, but all right)